Thursday, March 12, 2009

Good Will Hunting

To me, "Good Will Hunting," is inspiring in one specific way. I have always wanted to write a script with my best friend about something that happened, or could have happened to us growing up. Matt Damon and Ben Affleck wrote and stared (and co-stared) in the film which put them on the map to being the super stars that they are today.

The movie follows Will (Damon), a mathematical genius, as he goes through therapy and deals with the realities of his life. The soundtrack features 5 different Elliott Smith songs, "Angeles," "No Name #3," "Between the Bars," "Say Yes," and "Miss Misery." The heavy use of one artist in the soundtrack is unique, and adds to the melancholy tone of Smith adds to the movie.



In particular, "Say Yes," is one of the songs that sticks out to me the most, partly because it is one of my over all favorite songs, and I love hearing it in a movie that I enjoy so much. According to SongFacts.com, Smith said that this song was "insanely optimistic," and keeping that in mind, it is played while Skylar (Minnie Driver) and Will are on one of their first dates in a dollar store.

As Skylar and Will talk amidst the junk, "Say Yes," plays lightly in the back ground and flows into their conversation at dinner. As Will admits to Skylar that he was hoping for a good-night kiss, she suggests that they, "should just get it over with now." As she is saying this, the lyric of "Say Yes," is, "They want you or they don't/Say yes." The song is about whether or not someone is interested and how "No one says until it shows," specifically relating how it is very difficult to put yourself out there with someone you like.

"Good Will Hunting," is an interesting movie that I can't help but re-watch, and I'm not sure if it is because I forget what happens in the movie so quickly after seeing it, which I do. Or maybe it is because it is one of those movies where the plot isn't as important as the characters, who experience such fantastic change in the course of 2 hours. Man, I love movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment